Define bus system. Explain different types of bus of a microprocessor
|Subject||Microprocessor and Assembly Language|
|NU Year||Set: 1.(b) Marks: 10 Year: 2010|
The system bus is a pathway composed of cables and connectors used to carry data between a computer microprocessor and the main memory. The bus provides a communication path for the data and control signals moving between the major components of the computer system. The system bus works by combining the functions of the three main buses: namely, the data, address and control buses. Each of the three buses has its separate characteristics and responsibilities.
Expansion Bus Types
These are some of the common expansion bus types that have ever been used in computers:
- ISA - Industry Standard Architecture
- EISA - Extended Industry Standard Architecture
- MCA - Micro Channel Architecture
- VESA - Video Electronics Standards Association
- PCI - Peripheral Component Interconnect
- PCMCIA - Personal Computer Memory Card Industry Association (Also called PC bus)
- AGP - Accelerated Graphics Port
- SCSI - Small Computer Systems Interface.