Discuss various types of Interrupts.
|Subject||Microprocessor and Assembly Language|
|NU Year||Set: 4.(b) Marks: 5 Year: 2011|
Types of Interrupts:
Although interrupts have highest priority than other signals, there are many types of interrupts but the basic type of interrupts are
- Hardware Interrupts: If the signal for the processor is from the external device or hardware is called hardware interrupts. Example: from keyboard we will press the key to do some action this pressing of a key in keyboard will generate a signal which is given to the processor to do action, such interrupts are called hardware interrupts. Hardware interrupts can be classified into two types they are
- Maskable Interrupt: The hardware interrupts which can be delayed when a much highest priority interrupt has occurred to the processor.
- Non-Maskable Interrupt: The hardware which cannot be delayed and should process by the processor immediately.
- Software Interrupts: Software interrupt can also be divided into two types. They are
- Normal Interrupts: the interrupts which are caused by the software instructions are called software instructions.
- Exception: unplanned interrupts while executing a program is called Exception. For example: while executing a program if we got a value which should be divided by zero is called an exception.