|NU Year||Set: 1.(a) Marks: 5 Year: 2009|
An algorithm is a step by step method of solving a problem. It is commonly used for data processing, calculation and other related computer and mathematical operations.
An algorithm must satisfy the following criteria:
1. Input- These are the values that are supplied externally to the algorithm.
2. Output- These are the results that are produced by the algorithm.
3. Definiteness- Each step must be clear and unambiguous.
4. Finiteness- The algorithm must terminate after a finite number of steps.
5. Effectiveness- Each step must be feasible i.e. it should be practically possible to perform the step.