Explain four important characteristics of a computer. List some important
features of third generation’s computers.
|Subject||Introduction to Computer System|
Characteristics of Computer
· SPEED : In general, no human being can compete to solving the complex computation, faster than computer.
· ACCURACY : Since Computer is programmed, so what ever input we give it gives result with accuratly.
· STORAGE : Computer can store mass storage of data with appropriate formate.
· DILIGENCE : Computer can work for hours without any break and creating error.
· VERSATILITY : We can use computer to perform completely different type of work at the same time.
· POWER OF REMEMBERING : It can remember data for us.
· NO IQ : Computer does not work without instruction.
· NO FEELING : Computer does not have emotions, knowledge, experience, feeling.
Third generation computers were computers that emerged due to the development of the integrated circuit (IC). They were the first steps toward computers as we know them today. Their main feature was the use of integrated circuits, which allowed them to be shrunk down to be as small as large toasters. Because of this, they gained the name microcomputers because compared to second generation computers which would occupy entire rooms and buildings, they were quite small. Well-known computers in this generation include the DEC PDP series and the IBM-360 series computers.
Characteristics of Third Generation Computers:
· Use of Integrated Circuits (IC) instead of transistors
· Use of Semi-conductor memory
· Small size than previous generation computers
· Use of magnetic storage devices
· Improved faster operations and more dependable output
· Use of mini computers use of monitors and line printers