Differentiate between AES and DES algorithm.
|Subject||Computer and Network Security|
|NU Year||Set: 4.(c) Marks: 4 Year: 2017|
AES data encryption is a more mathematically efficient and elegant cryptographic algorithm, but its main strength rests in the option for various key lengths. AESallows you to choose a 128-bit, 192-bit or 256-bit key, making it exponentially stronger than the 56-bit key of DES
Key Differences Between DES and AES
- The basic difference between DES and AES is that the block in DES is divided into two halves before further processing whereas, in AES entire block is processed to obtain ciphertext.
- The DES algorithm works on the Feistel Cipher principle, and the AES algorithm works on substitution and permutation principle.
- The key size of DES is 56 bit which is comparatively smaller than AES which has 128,192, or 256-bit secret key.
- The rounds in DES include Expansion Permutation, Xor, S-box, P-box, Xor and Swap. On the other hands, rounds in AES include Subbytes, Shiftrows, Mix columns, Addroundkeys.
- DES is less secure than AES because of the small key size.
- AES is comparatively faster than DES
Login to post your comment.